Banner

Banner

Thursday 13 September 2012

London 2012: When Our Time Came, Britain, We Did It Right!





NB: Please click on the photos to view properly, this new layout is playing havoc with them!


Last weekend I went to the London 2012 Paralympics and it was hands-down one of the best experiences I've ever had. The atmosphere was amazing all through the Park and all of the Gamesmakers were so happy and helpful.
  We were seeing the Athletics so were in the Olympic Stadium and it was completely electric. Having seen it so much on telly, I thought I had a good idea of what it would be like, but I was wrong. I expected the view from our seats (the middle price category of 3) to be quite restricted and to only see the Athletes as little dots on a miles-away track, but the view was fantastic! We could see everything, track and field.


The best moments for me were; first, seeing Richard Whitehead win and receive his Gold medal. The place went insane when he won, and I have to admit to emitting noises and screeches I never expected I had in me! Singing the National Anthem as a crowd of 80,000 was just unreal!
We saw 6 GB medals in total!

 

The other stand out moment was seeing Houssien Omar Hassan, an Athlete from Djibouti running the 1500m. He's the one in blue on the above photos. When the pistol went, all of the runners set off and it quickly became clear that he wouldn't be in the running for the medals. He was lapped twice by the other competitors and was still on his first lap when the group had finished. But the most inspiring and humbling thing was that as he went round, barely faster than a stumble, the entire stadium stood up and cheered him on as if he was in the lead. A mexican wave-style round of applause greeted him from every stand as he went by. Even the commentators, whose speech was audible only to the TV Broadcast for all other events, came back through the speakers to will him on and all the screens you see on the photos lit up with "MAKE SOME NOISE!". It was a very emotional 11 minutes and as he crossed the line, the cheer went up as if he'd just won gold. He certainly won something.

I hope you all enjoyed the Olympics & Paralympics, tell me about your favourite moment in the comments below :)

Take Care, Lot of Love, Taz x


21 comments:

  1. I spent a day at the olympics earlier in the summer and i'll never forget it! i'm so grateful to have been! I saw the bronze medal match for the women's handball- i fell in love with the sport!!
    Just as we were walking out to leave the roar from the stadium was unlike anything that had ever happened and we knew something special had just happened! Turns out Mo Farah had just won his 2nd gold! I'll never forget the sound!
    So glad you enjoyed the experience too! The olympics gave me a summer to remember!
    Becky xx
    http://beckysbeautybox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww wow! The atmosphere around the whole park was amazing wasn't it?
      I loved every minute of it, being there and seeing it on TV!
      I'm glad you got to go as well :D
      xx

      Delete
  2. i love your blog!
    im doing a giveaway at 100 followers,of 2 mac product of the winners choice could you help? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiii!
    i love your blog, these pictures are great.
    i'm now your newest follower.
    i hope you'll come and say hi, you seem so lovely, it'd be great to chat :)
    hope to hear from you,
    laura xx
    http://ilikecrayonsxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comments.
      I've been checking out your blog, love it!
      Following now :) xx

      Delete
  4. Ahh I would have loved to have gone to the Olympics :) great photos x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this post! I would have loved to have gone. I am now following you, would love you to check out my blog too. Naomi xx

    www.oneheelforward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I've just been looking at yours, following now!
      x

      Delete
  6. You lucky lady! I really enjoyed the Olympic summer. My favourite moment was when The South African swimmer beat Michael Phelps and bawled his eyes out when he got his gold medal x

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I know, and did you see his dad going wild with happiness?! That was so sweet! x

      Delete
  7. I went to the Olympics this summer and the atmosphere was amazing. The part about Houssien Omar Hassan sounds like it would been a beautiful thing to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw wow I hope you really enjoyed it!
      It was a stunning moment, I'm so glad I got to be there :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a really amazing time. Your pictures are amazing! I really enjoyed watching the Gymnastics and Track events! I love your blog and I'm your newest follower!

    I hope you'll check out my blog and follow back if you like it! I'd really appreciate it!

    I can't wait to see more posts from you:)

    --The Urban Lioness
    http://www.theurbanlioness.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it!
      I've just been looking at yours, following now! x

      Delete
  9. Thank you for commenting :)
    I've just been looking at your blog, I'm now following! Love those studded pumps! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing! I'm still missing the Olympics, and gutted I didn't get to the Olympic Park! You got some really great shots too!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I know, I was so happy when I managed to get tickets!
      Glad you enjoyed it though!
      xxx

      Delete